All posts in SharePoint 2010

Read XML Data Files Stored in a SharePoint Library with PowerShell

I recently had a need to read data from an xml configuration file that was stored within a SharePoint library.  To make things easier I of course went to Google (or Bing) and checked to see if someone else had yet blogged this.  Couldn’t find anything, so in order to help out someone else that may need to do the same at some point, I wrote up a quick little blog.  Note: this will only work for on-premises versions of SharePoint.  I’ll update with a SharePoint Online version in the future.  I’ll also write up how to add and delete contents in a future post as well.

Read more

JavaScript files not Updating in Site Assets or other SharePoint Libraries

So ran into a very weird issue.  I had just finished patching our Dev and Test servers to the November 2017 CU.  And after this occurred, any updates to solutions using JavaScript injection was not working.  I’ll describe the problem in more detail here right away, but I want to make sure I give a call out to Trevor Seward.  Trevor blogs from The SharePoint Farm and kudos goes to him for pointing me at the Blob Cache (but I am getting ahead of myself).

Read more

Pushing SharePoint Content Databases Beyond 200GB

Over a year ago, I wrote about SharePoint’s storage limits and threshold, why they are there and and can they be exceeded.  I had started to illustrate how the content databases could be exceeded and to what extent, but I really never got to do some more in depth tests.  I had promised to come back one day and perform more tests and to show if pushing SharePoint content databases beyond 200GB is possible in your environment.

Read more

SharePoint People Picker Error – Item cannot be more than 256 characters.

Had a colleague ask me the other day if there was a limit on the People Picker control in SharePoint.  Reason being is that she had a Person field setup to accept multiple users and had a group that was constantly getting the error “Item cannot be more than 256 characters” when trying to enter the users.  After a bit more digging, found out they were using a list of about 20 people or so and then just pasting them into the people picker box.  They had everything correct with semicolon separators and everything, but kept getting that error.

SharePoint People Picker Error - Item cannot be more than 256 characters.

Read more

SharePoint Best Practices – Content Types

The other day I decided to start a power user best practice series.  I started with site columns and now the next logical step is content types.  I have found that many times experienced users don’t realise the importance of a properly setup content type.  Because of this, they often are recreating the same data, having to redo the content types  and in some cases blow them away and start over (both of which are a real pain if the CT is already being used).  The intent of this post is to cover the best ways to create your content types.

Read more