I recently had a need to read data from an xml configuration file that was stored within a SharePoint library. To make things easier I of course went to Google (or Bing) and checked to see if someone else had yet blogged this. Couldn’t find anything, so in order to help out someone else that may need to do the same at some point, I wrote up a quick little blog. Note: this will only work for on-premises versions of SharePoint. I’ll update with a SharePoint Online version in the future. I’ll also write up how to add and delete contents in a future post as well.
The other day I decided to start a power user best practice series. I started with site columns and now the next logical step is content types. I have found that many times experienced users don’t realise the importance of a properly setup content type. Because of this, they often are recreating the same data, having to redo the content types and in some cases blow them away and start over (both of which are a real pain if the CT is already being used). The intent of this post is to cover the best ways to create your content types.
So today I am starting a new series on SharePoint Best Practices. This may seem like a fairly simple topic but, I have come to learn that it is an important one. I am not talking about best practices in setting up and configuring SharePoint or how to best develop a solution in SharePoint. I am instead wanting to discuss best practices in your day to day usage of SharePoint. Too many times I have worked with experienced clients that have a decent knowledge of how to do things in SharePoint, but don’t think of the little things that make these best practices. This is where this series is coming from. Today I am going to cover site columns.
In my previous post on the different ways to determine the return message from a REST API call in a SPD workflow I covered using a test list and Fiddler to build your web call in a SharePoint Designer workflow. In this post I want to discuss manipulating REST API calls in SharePoint Designer 2013 workflows. Basically I want to show how you can determine what your read string is going to look like based on the values coming back from SharePoint.