All posts tagged Troubleshooting

An Error Occurred While Running Detection when patching SharePoint Servers

Ugh, patching servers.  Yet another reason to move to SharePoint Online.  I recently started another patching process as the servers were getting out of date and needed to have the environments upgraded.  So while doing one server in particular I ran into a snag where the installer wouldn’t even run past the detection point.  It simply kicked off and immediately returned the error “An Error Occurred While Running Detection”

An Error Occurred While Running Detection - Error Message

I am going to go over the different steps I took to resolve this issue.  I am even going to list the ones that should have worked but didn’t in case they will work for you.

Read more

JavaScript files not Updating in Site Assets or other SharePoint Libraries

So ran into a very weird issue.  I had just finished patching our Dev and Test servers to the November 2017 CU.  And after this occurred, any updates to solutions using JavaScript injection was not working.  I’ll describe the problem in more detail here right away, but I want to make sure I give a call out to Trevor Seward.  Trevor blogs from The SharePoint Farm and kudos goes to him for pointing me at the Blob Cache (but I am getting ahead of myself).

Read more

SharePoint Patch Process Fails: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException – Invalid object name ‘Webs’

I have been working with SharePoint for a long time.  An error was encountered not long ago that I have never seen when patching a SharePoint server (and unfortunately I have seen a lot of errors over the years).  While running the configuration manager I received the following error:

“An exception of type System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException was thrown. Additional exception information: Invalid object name ‘Webs’.”

The error of course was really nice and pointed me to the log file to get more information.  Opening up the log file and searching for ERR (put space at the end to have a better chance of finding an error entry instead of other words containing those letters) I was expecting loads of information to be made available to me so I could easily fix this problem.  I really should have known better as I received the following:

Invalid object name 'Webs' - Log Error Message

At no point in the logs did it tell me where this problem was occurring.  So where do we go from here?

Well let’s dig into it shall we?

Read more

Another Cause of a SharePoint Workflow Stuck at Starting or Started

There are already a ton of posts out there where a SharePoint 2013 workflow becomes stuck at started or starting.  Well I have another one.  This problem actually originated in a SharePoint 2013 farm.  If you are using SharePoint Online, the cause is actually pretty easy to determine.  So for those of you not lucky enough to be working with SharePoint Online, I will go through the symptoms you could come across and a possible resolution.

Read more

SharePoint People Picker Error – Item cannot be more than 256 characters.

Had a colleague ask me the other day if there was a limit on the People Picker control in SharePoint.  Reason being is that she had a Person field setup to accept multiple users and had a group that was constantly getting the error “Item cannot be more than 256 characters” when trying to enter the users.  After a bit more digging, found out they were using a list of about 20 people or so and then just pasting them into the people picker box.  They had everything correct with semicolon separators and everything, but kept getting that error.

SharePoint People Picker Error - Item cannot be more than 256 characters.

Read more