I recently had a need to read data from an xml configuration file that was stored within a SharePoint library. To make things easier I of course went to Google (or Bing) and checked to see if someone else had yet blogged this. Couldn’t find anything, so in order to help out someone else that may need to do the same at some point, I wrote up a quick little blog. Note: this will only work for on-premises versions of SharePoint. I’ll update with a SharePoint Online version in the future. I’ll also write up how to add and delete contents in a future post as well.
The other day I decided to start a power user best practice series. I started with site columns and now the next logical step is content types. I have found that many times experienced users don’t realise the importance of a properly setup content type. Because of this, they often are recreating the same data, having to redo the content types and in some cases blow them away and start over (both of which are a real pain if the CT is already being used). The intent of this post is to cover the best ways to create your content types.
I was recently hosted by CIPS Saskatchewan to give my Leading Practices for Planning and Implementing a SharePoint Environment presentation. It was a great time and I really enjoyed giving it. I will also be presenting the session in October at the Victoria SharePoint User Group and at SharePoint Saturday Redmond. I have updated the slide deck somewhat so wanted to provide it to everyone for them to download.
Thank you to all the organizations for allowing me to present this session and thank you to everyone who came out and attended. I hope you gained something from the presentation.
Click this link to download the slide deck.
Thanks for reading!
Recently I was configuring search to access my SQL Server data via an external content type for a demo I was presenting. Once the content source was configured I ran the full crawl to populate the index with the data from my external source. After about a minute the crawl was marked complete. So naturally I am going to want to test it and make sure my data is pulling through. The external data is a basic asset database so I did a search for one of the manufacturers I knew was in there. Received the dreaded “Nothing here matches your search” message.
Well I know there is data in there so obviously something went wrong. I know what is wrong as I have done this before, but I want to go through some of the troubleshooting steps you can do to help determine the problem.
This weekend I had the privilege of speaking at the SharePoint Saturday Conference in Vancouver. At the conference I spoke on no code solutions for SharePoint Business Connectivity Services and the different features you had access to out of the box. It was a great experience and one I hope to repeat in the future. This presentation seems quite popular as I will be giving it again at the SharePoint Saturday in Calgary and the Prairie Developers Conference in Winnipeg.
As promised for all of these sessions I have attached the slide deck here for you to download for reference.
Thanks for reading.